Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reviewing

I've noticed, while there are reviews of some modules (notably on RPGnet, tenfootpole, and rpggeek), few of them are really actual play reviews. Which is a slight problem, because one thing I'd really love is estimates of play-time.

Sure, there are some one-night stands by Frog God Games and some old tournament modules with fixed times... But aside from those it's hard to tell if you've got enough time to run a module or not. I ran Arachnophobia in one big shot (about 8 hours, iirc) but I'm sure I cut a little bit and fastforwarded through some of the town aspects of the module.

I ran Against the Cult of the Reptile God last summer with the playtest rules, and I think it took us 5 week nights (only about 2-3 hours of actual game time per night), but could have easily taken another night or two to complete that little gem.

I'm going to try to continue to review modules I run (and possibly those I play), but I think giving that amount of time needed based on actual play would be really helpful. I wonder if one of the old school forums would be a great place to try to get some additional info on the modules from the 70s and 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment